Sunday, February 1, 2009

PAV Blog Day 12_2.01: Still in Tempe

Hey, thanks for checking up on us. We're still in Tempe and ready to leave. If all goes as planned tomorrow morning, we're heading to Rocky Point Mexico, has a real Spanish ring to it huh? It's basically been a week since we got to Tempe and we've been staying at Milan's. His roommate, Trevor, has been really cool about sharing his house with us this long. It's been nice to have a place to hangout but with 5 guys in a small house, tension tends to build and the stress levels are running high; we all need the open highway. Today we all rode to Kinko's to make copies, wow was it nice to be on the bike. I've been working on documents for the last few days and am tired of sitting in the house, especially when its so beautiful outside! It's consistently been in the upper 70's, a huge change from the weather in Portland right now, 10's? teens?

We watched the Super Bowl together and ate some awesome chili Andrew made, the guy can really cook! Last night he made us each two giant breakfast burritos for under $5 a person. Even though I don't care much for professional football, I had to choose a team. Being in Arizona means everyone was rooting for the Cardinals, so I jumped on the wagon (though secretly I couldn't care less who won). What a close game!

Our first night in town we decided to go out and have some fun. We went to a pool hall a few minutes away. It was $3 long island ice tea night. I've never been one for ice tea, but for $3 I couldn't say no. We we're shooting pool and having fun when one of Milan's friends arrived. We all took turns meeting her. I went up to meet her and was greeted by a fairly firm handshake, the kind you expect from someone a few inches taller than you. As she shook my hand the fingers of my left hand slipped from the icy surface of my long island and it fell in slow motion to the ground. Fortunately it was carpeted and the glass didn't break. In the split second after it landed life's comedic timing fell in line. We both looked down, I bent over to pick up the glass as she threw her head back to laugh and then bend over to pick it up as well. Unfortunately for her, I was already on my way back up before she'd noticed and I got a nose right in the back of the head. She immediately covered her face and speed-walked to the ladies room. So in the course of 3 or 4 seconds, faster than my brain could process what was going on, I dropped my drink, picked it up, broke a girls nose, and made her run away. It was so ridiculous I just stood there dumbfounded. What a smooth operator. She came back about ten minutes later, less angry, but with a slightly bigger nose. We "laughed" about it, but I'm sure it wasn't really all that funny to her yet.

I love when things like that happen so fast there's no way to stop them or change them. Moments like that give me a glimpse of fate. Although you have the ability to make choices everyday that affect your future, it all goes by so fast that you're left standing there dumbfounded thinking, "..wow, I'm such a smooth operator".

Ive got pictures to accompany this post but It's time for bed. The next post will be from Mexico.

Keep us in your prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment